“How are we going to get out of this?” Roald despaired. “They’ll get through the barricade in a few minutes.”
“Don’t panic,” said Rose quickly. “What about the window?” Roald flung it open, but groaned as he saw the ground 30 feet below them.
“We can’t jump, we’d break our legs,” he said.
“How about up?” she asked.
“No good,” he said. “The wall’s sheer. We could never climb that.”
“Is there anything in here?” she asked. Roald scanned the room, and in the top right corner of the the he spotted a large vent.
“The air ducts!” he said. “Hurry!” He flung himself over and boosted his sister up to reach it. She pulled out her laser-cutter and sliced the metal away with ease. The grating fell away, and she reached up, only to pull down in sadness.
“It’s too small,” she said pointlessly, as Roald could also see how the vent narrowed. “We’re stuck.” The door was smoking, and I watched them gleefully through the security camera as my guards piled into the room.
“We give up,” said Roald hopelessly, going down on his knees with his hands up. As I saw them captured and beaten for trying to escape, I smiled. I knew that remodeling those ducts had been a good idea!
“We give up,” said Roald hopelessly, going down on his knees with his hands up. As I saw them captured and beaten for trying to escape, I smiled. I knew that remodeling those ducts had been a good idea!
